How to Replace Shock Absorbers: Fiat 500
- KYB Front Shock Absorber for Fiat 500 – R&L: Excel-G, Twin Tube (Part No. 333766)
- Torquing tools:
- Socket wrench: 13, 15, 16, 17, 19 mm
- Spanner: 16, 17 mm
- Screwdrivers (torx/slotted): 5, 6, 16, 19, 27 mm
- Penetrating oil
- Heavy duty ratchet strap
- Coil spring compressor
- Transmission jack lift
How to replace front shocks on a Fiat 500
- Spray the stabiliser rod with penetrating oil and remove relevant nuts and bolts with a 5 mm screwdriver and 16 mm ring spanner.
- Disconnect the wheel speed sensor, shock absorber wiring and brake piping.
- Unscrew relevant nuts and screws with a 15 mm and 17 mm drive socket wrench to detach the stabiliser link.
- Secure steering knuckle with a heavy-duty ratchet strap.
- Remove windscreen wipers using a 13 mm socket.
- Detach cowl grille using Torx T20.
- Unscrew struts top mounting using a 6 mm and 19 mm screwdriver bit along with a ring spanner.
- Remove shock absorber.
- Set the shock absorber strut and coil on the spring compressor tool.
- Remove strut mount from shock absorber using a 16 mm and 27 mm screwdriver bit.
- Install the coil spring on the new shock absorber and compress the spring again.
- Install the shock strut mount and fasten bolts using a 27 mm and 6 mm screwdriver bit (6.75 daN.m).
- Make sure the coil spring, shock absorber and relevant mounts align.
- Place the shock absorber back in the wheel arch of the vehicle.
- Re-attach top mounting.
- Remove heavy-duty ratchet strap from steering knuckle.
- Reconnect wheel speed sensor, shock absorber wiring and brake piping using 15 mm drive socket (8 daN.m) and 17 mm ring spanner.
- Fit the stabiliser link using a 5 mm screwdriver bit (5.5 daN.m) and 16 mm socket
- Fit the wheel back on the vehicle.
- Screw strut top mounting using a 6 mm screwdriver bit (5.5 daN.m) and 19 mm socket.
- Re-install cowl grille panel (Torx T20) and windscreen wipers using a 13 mm socket.
Choose quality components in your car
Excel-G shock absorbers from KYB are used by vehicle manufacturers and aftermarket repair shops across the world. The shock absorbers and struts are designed for maximum handling and comfort. Our patented valving and the use of pressurised nitrogen gas in the Excel-G range significantly reduces the aeration and foaming that typically occurs in other shock absorbers. That means greater performance over a greater shock life.
Get In Touch
PO Box 8156,